Table of contents:
- The rule of writing the word "about"
- Life hack for memorizing the rules of writing
- Synonyms "about"
- Examples of using "about"
Video: "About" - how to spell it correctly: together or separately
2023 Author: James Gerald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:31
You can understand how the word "about" is spelled correctly in Russian by studying the rule. The application of knowledge will help not to make spelling mistakes in writing, to draw up documents correctly, write essays and pass exams with high scores.
The rule of writing the word "about"
In accordance with the rule, before using a word in writing, it is necessary to determine which part of speech it belongs to. In Russian, there are 2 spelling options:
- fused - in the case of using the construction as a derivative preposition;
- separate - in a sentence the phrase is presented as a noun with a preposition.
To determine the part of speech, you can try to ask a question for a word. The noun will answer the questions "where?", "What?". A preposition in Russian is not an independent part of speech, so you cannot ask a question to it.
Interesting! "Differently" - how to spell it correctly, hyphenated or not
- We decided to ask the guide about the trip, which should take place tomorrow. - We decided to find out (about what?) About the trip.
- The funds will begin to be credited to the investor's account immediately after they are withdrawn from the exchange. - They will start crediting (for what? Where?) To the investor's account.
You can ask a question for a noun with a preposition, but not for a derivative preposition, it itself will be considered part of the question.
Life hack for memorizing the rules of writing
If the question cannot be asked, you can determine whether the word is written together or separately, based on the context of the sentence:
- “About” is written when it comes to an action performed in relation to / in relation to someone, something;
- "To the account" is used in the case of a description of the situation of replenishing the balance of a plastic card, deposit, etc.
Interesting! "Please" - how to spell it correctly and the rule of the Russian language
- You don't have to worry about Tatiana, I will promptly resolve this issue, and the girl will come to visit her father. - You don't have to worry about Tatiana.
- This money must be sent to the account of a charitable foundation, we have been supporting it for 5 years. - Send to the fund's bank account.
A noun with a preposition can be checked by adding an adjective between them.
You can check if a noun with a preposition is used in a sentence by adding a word between them. The adjective should fit perfectly into the phrase without changing its meaning.
Do not transfer money to the organization's account now, we need to come to a common decision and conclude an agreement. - Do not transfer money to the organization's bank account now, we need to come to a common decision and conclude an agreement.
To check a derivative preposition or in case of doubt, you can replace the word "about" with a synonym:
- in a relationship;
- by part;
- in reasoning, etc.
The chosen synonym should not change the meaning of the sentence.
We will talk about Tatyana later, but first I need to discuss the problem with the girl's mother. - We will talk about Tatiana later, but first I need to discuss the problem with the girl's mother.
Interesting! During - as it is written, together or separately
Examples of using "about"
To memorize the correct spelling of the derived preposition "about", you should study examples of its use:
- You don't have to worry about the payment, it will be received on the 10th of every month.
- We have not finished the conversation about the future trip, it remains to discuss and draw up a route.
- Tatiana came to Alexander to talk about their upcoming wedding.
- I was not worried about my mother, she did a great job on the trip and constantly sent photos.
In each sentence, the word "about" is spelled together. It cannot be separated by an adjective.
In Russian, the word "about" is written together. In a sentence, it acts as a derivative preposition. To check the correctness of spelling, you can replace the construction with a synonym. If a sentence uses a noun with a preposition, it should be written separately.