Table of contents:
- Part of speech
- Word spelling rule
- When a construct is written separately
- How to identify split or continuous spelling
- Examples of using an adverb
Video: "On time" - as it is written, together or separately
2023 Author: James Gerald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:31
Some words, when used in writing, raise a lot of questions, one of them is “on time”. You can remember how it is spelled correctly, together or separately, by studying the rules for its use.
Part of speech
The word "in time" is unchangeable, in the sentence it answers the questions "when?" or "how?" depends on the verb acting as the predicate. Consequently, in Russian, this construction is an adverb.
- We arrived on time, but Tatiana was not there yet, because she got stuck in a traffic jam on the way to the airport. Arrived (when?) On time.
- Sergei failed to arrive on time, he was late for the event by 20 minutes. Arrive (how?) On time.
Interesting! As it is spelled "abroad" - together or separately
Word spelling rule
Referring to the rule of writing adverbs with prefixes, you can see that the word "on time" is spelled together. When pronouncing, the stress is on the first syllable. Separate spelling of the adverb with the "in" part is unacceptable.
- Our detachment arrived at the border on time, so we managed to install equipment and split into groups before the arrival of the enemy.
- We arrived home on time, my mother had already made cabbage pies and brewed tea with five herbs.
When a construct is written separately
To answer the question of how the word "on time" is spelled correctly, together or separately, one should determine the part of speech. An adverb with the prefix "in" is always used in writing in a continuous form. However, the construction "in time" will be considered correct if it appears in the sentence as a noun with a preposition.
- During the absence of the teacher in the classroom, the students repeated the rules in order to successfully write the final test in the Russian language.
- During her mother's absence, Tatyana decided to clean up the house in order to make the parent pleasant.
Interesting! When VLOOKUP is in 7th grade in 2022 and what subjects
When writing a construction “on time”, you should always pay attention to what part of speech it is in order to avoid a spelling error.
How to identify split or continuous spelling
To determine the continuous or separate spelling of a word, teachers advise:
- define a part of speech - a noun with a preposition is used in a separate form, an adverb is always written in a sentence together;
- put stress - "in time" or "in time";
- try to insert a word between the parts "in" and "time", the meaning of the sentence should not be lost.
- During the work on the project, all team members worked responsibly, performing their assigned functions. - The sentence uses a noun with a preposition, the stress falls on the letter "e".
- We completed the project on time, so all team members got excellent marks for the semester. - An adverb is presented in the sentence, the stress falls on "o".
The adverb "on time", if necessary, can be replaced with a synonym to avoid spelling errors:
- in due time;
- within the specified period;
- at your hour;
- at the right time;
- minute per minute;
- just right;
- just in time, etc.
You should choose such synonyms that will fit the meaning of the sentence.
We arrived on the island in time, our boat was the last to moor that day. - We arrived at the island at the same time, our boat landed last that day.
Examples of using an adverb
Acquaintance with examples of using the adverb "on time" in writing allows you to visually remember how the word is spelled correctly:
- Vasily reacted in time and managed to catch the boy just before he fell into the water.
- The squad reacted in time, every minute in this robbery was counting.
- Nobody sent the assignment to the teacher on time, so he had to extend the deadline for another week.
- We could not arrive on time due to a flight delay in St. Petersburg, but we were only 20 minutes late for the event.
- Tatiana left home in time, Fedor did not have time to find her and left a gift on the threshold of her apartment.
In all cases, the adverb "on time" is written separately. This must be remembered.
In Russian, the word "on time" is an adverb and is always written together. You can remember the correctness of its use in writing by reading the examples of using the structure in writing.