Table of contents:
- Part of speech
- Union spelling rule
- In what form the union can not be used
- Union synonyms
- Examples of using the union in writing
Video: "Not only" - as it is written, together or separately
2023 Author: James Gerald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:31
Often, when writing various texts, the question arises as to how the construction "not only" is written correctly. When studying the features of using a word in writing, you should pay attention to the use of a particle, and to a separate or fused form.
Part of speech
The word "only" can act as different parts of speech. When it is part of a structure with a particle "not", it becomes a complex union, which acts as a connecting element of the two parts in the sentence.
- Tatyana not only baked a cake for her nephew's birthday, but also laid a whole table for the guests.
- Not only my sleeping bag disappeared, along with it my warm socks and pajamas for sleeping in nature disappeared.
Interesting! As it is spelled "abroad" - together or separately
Union spelling rule
According to the rules of the Russian language, the complex union "not only" should always be written separately. It is prohibited to use the construction in a continuous form. This will be considered a gross spelling error.
Example: I not only went with Sergei and Tatiana by train, but I was able to spend the night with them when I was in Moscow.
In what form the union can not be used
There are several common mistakes when writing the word "not only", which you should be aware of in order to avoid them in writing:
- Not only;
- Not only;
- not only;
- no, only.
The only correct way to write a complex union is separately with the "not" particle.
- Not only did I have no money for a return ticket, I had nowhere to stay for the night. - Wrong spelling of the union.
- Not only did I have no money for a return ticket, I had nowhere to stay for the night. - The correct form of using a complex union.
Interesting! When VLOOKUP is in 7th grade in 2022 and what subjects
The union “not only” is one of those for which it is difficult to find a synonym. In most cases it can be omitted and not used in a sentence. If there is a need for replacement, it is worth using the "not exclusively" design.
Example: Not only did I not have the opportunity to get to the city, Leonid also could not get out of the village. - Not only did I have no opportunity to get to the city, Leonid also could not get out of the village.
It is also ideal that the phrases “not only” and “not alone” fit into sentences instead of the construction “not only”.
Example: Not only I needed the doctor's help, Anatoly and Mikhail needed bandaging and splints. - I was not the only one who needed the doctor's help, Anatoly and Mikhail needed bandaging and splints.
Examples of using the union in writing
It is believed that reading helps to visually remember how complex constructions are spelled correctly in Russian. For this reason, you should familiarize yourself with examples of using the union "not only" in a letter:
- We not only performed a dance for the newlyweds, but also performed acrobatic elements during the performance.
- I went on vacation not only to relax, I wanted to find my father and talk to him about past grievances.
- Not only did I pay attention to Tatyana last night: Sergei, noticing us during the dance, hastened to lure the girl with conversations.
- Not only were my money and credit cards gone, the keys were also missing in my jacket pocket.
- Maria communicated at the wedding not only with close friends, she managed to pay attention to all the guests.
It should be remembered that the conjunction "not only" in any sentence is written separately.
The phrase "not only" appears in the sentence as a complex union. With a negative particle “not”, the word “only” should always be written separately. The use of "no" in this union is a gross spelling error. Also, you cannot write a construction with a hyphen or together. Examples of using the union allow you to visually remember how the phrase is spelled correctly. If doubts arise when using "not only" in writing, you should replace the construction with a synonym.