Table of contents:
- Part of speech and word writing rule
- Which option is more popular
- Examples of using a word in a sentence
Video: How to spell: "mattress" or "mattress" in Russian
2023 Author: James Gerald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:31
There are many vocabulary words in the Russian language, the spelling of which you have to think about. Often people do not know how to spell it correctly, "mattress" or "mattress", when they come across a word in writing. To answer it, you need to study the rule.
Part of speech and word writing rule
You can understand how to spell it correctly: "mattress" or "mattress" by reading the rules for using the word in writing. In Russian, it refers to a noun and is a dictionary, so there is no special spelling rule for it.
If translated from German, then "mattress" will be written with the letter "c", from Dutch - "mattress" with the letter "c". Dahl in his dictionary presented the correct spelling with "c". According to Ozhegov, the noun is spelled with "s". However, the interpretation block also uses a version of the word "mattress".
Interesting! As it is spelled "abroad" - together or separately
Now, according to the rules of the Russian language, the word "mattress" can be used both with the letter "c" at the end, and with "c".
There is a version that "mattress" through the letter "s" is written only when conducting a domestic dialogue. With a "t" at the end, a noun should be used in writing a work of fiction. Spelling experts give the author a choice in what form he will use the word in the text.
- The mattress was laid on top of the iron slats, but the bars dug into the body with each turn to the other side.
- First of all, Masha bought a very soft mattress so as not to sleep on the old sofa that had remained in the apartment after her grandmother's move.
Which option is more popular
According to statistics, over the past 5-7 years, the word "mattress" is used in writing more often. Linguists speculate that this is due to the plural spelling check. The word "mattresses" is more commonly used with the letter "c". For this reason, and "mattress" is written in the presented form more often.
The mattresses did not have springs in some places, so Tatyana and Maria could not sleep on them for the third night.
Interesting! When VLOOKUP is in 7th grade in 2022 and what subjects
It is almost impossible to make a mistake when spelling the word "mattress". However, you should remember a few synonyms for this noun to avoid confusion. The most common of them are:
- feather bed;
- hair follicle;
- checkmate, etc.
When replacing a word with a synonym, it is necessary to ensure that the chosen form is suitable for the meaning and style of the sentence.
The mattress was thin and lay on the wooden floor, it was difficult to fall asleep on the makeshift bed, but the traveler was very tired. - The bedding was thin and lay on the wooden floor, it was difficult to fall asleep on the makeshift bed, but the traveler was very tired.
Examples of using a word in a sentence
You can often remember the spelling of a word visually. To do this, you need to familiarize yourself with examples of using a noun in writing:
- The springs of the mattress were sticking out in different directions, but Tatiana tried to sit on the bed so as not to hurt them.
- My old mattress already had scuffs and holes, it was uncomfortable and dangerous to sleep on this one.
- Oleg did not want to take the old mattress from the apartment, it was huge and did not fit into the car.
- I had no other choice, I had to sleep on an uncomfortable old mattress.
- On top of the spring mattress, my mother always laid a soft down mattress for Maria so that she could sleep comfortably and pleasantly.
To memorize the correct spelling of complex words and phrases, you should read more fiction.
According to the rules of the Russian language, the word "mattress" can be written in two forms: with the letter "c" or "c" at the end. Both options will be considered spelling correct. Nowadays the noun "mattress" is used more often. The word with "c" can be seen in works of fiction. Familiarization with examples of the use of the noun "mattress" will visually remember how it is spelled correctly.