Table of contents:
- Freezing food is a great way out
- Rules for placing the product in the refrigerator
- What deadlines should be adhered to
Video: How to keep cheese fresh in the refrigerator for a long time
2023 Author: James Gerald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:31
Dairy products tend to spoil quickly. Therefore, many are interested in how to keep cheese fresh in the refrigerator for a long time. There are certain rules for packaging and content of already opened products. Familiarization with them will allow you to keep the freshness of the cheese for a long time.
Freezing food is a great way out
In most cases, you can preserve food until opening by freezing it. However, this method is not suitable for cheeses. There are several reasons why it is best not to do this:
- The product loses its aroma.
- There is a change in taste.
- Changes in the consistency of the cheese.
- Strong crumbling.
- A number of varieties become rubbery after defrosting.
If freezing is the only way to preserve cheese for a long time, then this should be done taking into account all the rules.
The product must be removed from the package or mica. After opening the package, the cheese should be cut into thin slices or grated. So it will better preserve its taste and consistency. Products will need to be packaged in special zip bags and labeled with stickers for safety reasons.
Interesting! The best ways to freeze vegetables for the winter
You can leave the cheese in the freezer for no more than three months.
Rules for placing the product in the refrigerator
It's more common to store cheese in the refrigerator, but you need to know how long it can stay fresh. You should also take into account the peculiarities of the packaging and the location of the product. The optimum temperature depends on the species:
- Most of the cheeses must be stored under + 6-8 ℃ conditions.
- Expensive varieties brought from France will not lose their taste and consistency at a warmer temperature, on average, + 10 ℃.
- Manufacturers recommend storing a number of types in a cold place with a temperature from 0 to + 4 ℃.
You should carefully read the recommendations indicated on the packaging label.
Humidity also plays an important role in the storage of cheese. The optimal level is in the range of 85-90%. In the case when this indicator is increased, a piece of sugar must be placed next to the product. It will absorb all excess moisture and allow the product to stay fresh for much longer.
Which packaging is better to use and where to put cheese
Before opening the production packaging, it should be left in sealed mica. If the product was purchased in a film or bag, then it is necessary to transfer it to something else. Parchment will help prevent drying and mildew. You will need to wrap the piece in paper and seal it with adhesive tape.
Glass or enamel containers preserve the taste and aroma of cheese. This can be a jar, mortar, or mug with a lid. It is not recommended to store cheese in plastic either before or after opening the package. The product will absorb the smell of this material and get an unpleasant aftertaste.
Cheese of different varieties cannot be put in one container or packed in one sheet of paper. They have different properties and storage requirements.
Cheese should be placed on the shelves in the refrigerator. Drawers for vegetables and fruits are also suitable for storage. They have a special environment that allows products to stay fresh for a long time. It is better not to put cheese in the door. The temperature and humidity in this place do not correspond to the storage standards for this dairy product.
In some cases, the cheese can be wrapped in paper and wrapped in a plastic bag. This method is used when the product needs to be taken with you on the road. You can also use a plastic container or vacuum bag as a second package.
If there is no baking paper, then it can be replaced with foil. It will also preserve the taste of this dairy product and prevent it from drying out. Foil is often used to store processed or soft cheeses.
What to do if cheese starts to grow moldy
Sometimes mold can develop on the cheese due to improper storage. If the lesion is not strong, then it can be carefully cut off with a knife. The remaining piece will need to be wrapped in parchment and put in the refrigerator.
What deadlines should be adhered to
If all storage conditions are met, then you can leave the cheese in the refrigerator after opening the package for an average of 1 week. This is advised not only by product quality experts, but also by the chef.
Interesting! How to freeze cherries for the winter
For some varieties, this period can be increased or decreased:
- Adyghe cheese retains its taste in a vacuum or under glass for 30 days.
- The smoked pigtail should not be left in the refrigerator for more than 10 days if the cheese is stored in parchment.
- It is better to leave tofu in its original packaging, but if it has been damaged, then transfer the cheese to new parchment or airtight packaging every day for no more than 7 days.
- Gourmet varieties do not have to be put in the refrigerator, they like warmth, so it is better to leave them in the closet or on the table for up to 2-3 days.
- Processed cheeses can be stored for up to 2-3 days.
- Hard varieties can be refrigerated for up to 15 days if cut. Whole heads can be stored under all conditions for a maximum of two months.
- Cheese in brine has the shortest shelf life. A maximum of them can be left in the refrigerator for 1-2 days if the package has been opened.
There are special rules for storing cheeses in the refrigerator. They must be observed so that the product stays fresh longer. On average, its shelf life in the case of an opened package is no more than 7 days. However, it all depends on the type of cheese.
It is not recommended to freeze this product. It loses its taste and aroma. But if another option for storage is not possible, then it must be placed in the freezer in a chopped or grated form. In this case, the packaging must be sealed.
It is not recommended to store cheese only in plastic or cellophane. Better to place it in a glass container or enamel jar. Parchment is also suitable for storing cheese in the refrigerator.