Table of contents:
Parental Saturdays are not the only time determined by church canons for the uplifting of special prayers and rituals in memory of those who are no longer on Earth. To find the answer to the question, when are the memorial days in 2022, it is better to turn to the church calendar.
Why is it important
Respect for the history and age-old traditions of their ancestors prescribes increased attention to rituals dedicated to the memory of the dead. For this purpose, there are special days, Great Feasts and Parental Saturdays - the time when prayers and rituals have the greatest meaning and have the desired effect. In the church calendar, you can find when the Orthodox have memorial days in 2022, and this will be a more accurate determination of the date than making your own calculations or information received from relatives and strangers.
You can pray, light a candle, and tidy up the grave on any day, except those when it is not recommended by the church. But memorial days have a special energy, have an additional effect on the rituals held, besides, these are age-old traditions, days when you can pay tribute to the memory of individual people or all the dead, regardless of the date of their repose.
Interesting! What date are Orthodox parental Saturdays in 2022
How to navigate the dates
Memorial days in 2022 for the Orthodox are still divided into Ecumenical, Lenten, attached to the date and folk, however, they all include going to church and performing the prescribed rituals:
- Ecumenical parental Saturday is a special date with its own well-established canons. Of the 6 parental Saturdays, only two are Ecumenical: Meat and Trinity. The first is determined by the dates of Maslenitsa and the beginning of Great Lent. In 2022 it is February 25th. The second, Trinity (Semik), is tied to the Trinity. It is also transitory, 7 weeks after Easter Sunday. Its date is June 11, this is the day when you need to pray for all those who died a violent or unnatural death.
- The answer to the question of how many Orthodox Parents' Saturdays of Great Lent have depends on its beginning. In 2022, the 2nd week is March 19, the 3rd Christ of the Cross is on March 26, the fourth of John Climacus is on April 2. Sabbath observance during the fasting period plays an important role in achieving spiritual cleansing. These are liturgies that cannot be ordered on weekdays of Great Lent, but they are important so that the dead know through prayers that the living have not forgotten about them.
- Fixed dates appeared at different times, but the Russian Orthodox Church attaches great importance to them and certainly includes them in the list of those marked without fail.
The church calendar always indicates what date the commemoration dates are, but when choosing the appropriate one, you should know that each of them has its own special meaning. This applies not only to Ecumenical Saturdays, but also to those celebrated on fixed dates.
Interesting! When is Holy Week in 2022 for Orthodox Christians in Russia
The meaning of memorial days
Each of the Lent Saturdays symbolizes the approach to Holy Saturday - the path taken by Orthodox Christians towards Bright Sunday. On any sixth day of the week, all the dead who have attained the Kingdom of Heaven and all the saints should be commemorated. But there is little sense in bodily cleansing if, in parallel, you do not take care of the soul and do not follow the path of spiritual enlightenment. The rest also have a special sacred meaning:
- Semik (Troitskaya), June 11 - to commemorate all those who died unnaturally or violently;
- May 9 - in memory of all the Orthodox, killed, tortured and laid down on the battlefield;
- September 11 is another day of memory of Orthodox soldiers who died for their faith and fatherland;
- Intercession Saturday - the last before the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos, which invariably falls on October 14, is dedicated to those who perished on the battlefield;
- Dmitrievskaya, the eve of the day of memory of St. Dm. Solunsky, in 2022 falls on November 5;
- Mikhailovskaya, November 11 - in front of her, on Friday, Parastas is served, and in the morning - Divine Liturgy and a general requiem.
Nobody limits the will of the Orthodox to pay tribute to the memory of their dear dead on any other days - to light candles, order special services. But there are great holidays, for example, Bright Week, when the church cannot grieve, panikhida and liturgy are not performed. On memorial days, special services are held, there are rules of conduct and canons that are followed.
For those who feel the need to remember dear people, in addition to memorial Saturdays, the first day is intended when, after nationwide jubilation on Easter week, the dead can be remembered. This is Farewell, the third of May, because Radonitsa falls on the 9th day after Easter Sunday. In the evening, a special memorial service is held in the church, which must be attended, even if that day you visited the cemetery and did everything necessary to preserve pagan traditions.
In Orthodoxy, there are several dates intended for the commemoration of the departed. Some of them have fixed dates, while others are determined by the passing Great Feasts. There are memorial days with a fixed purpose, although you can pray to God on any of them.
You can find out when the memorial days are in 2022 according to the church calendar. In each church publication, not only the dates of the memorial days, but also the Ecumenical Saturdays, Easter, intended for prayers for the dead, are indicated.