Table of contents:
- The classic recipe for crispy sauerkraut in a 3 liter jar
- A simple recipe for sauerkraut in a saucepan
- Sauerkraut in a bucket without salt and sugar for the winter
- Sauerkraut with beets in Georgian style
- Recipe for crispy sauerkraut in a barrel for the winter
- Sharp option
- Korean style in a 3-liter jar
Video: Sauerkraut for the winter: the best recipes in 3 liter jars
2023 Author: James Gerald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:31
- Bay leaf
Previously, cabbage was fermented only in wooden barrels, it was taken to the cellar and buried in the ground 40 cm. Today, such difficulties are not needed, because very tasty sauerkraut for the winter is obtained in ordinary 3-liter jars, in a saucepan or bucket. The recipe is simple and quick, just three days and the appetizer is ready.
The classic recipe for crispy sauerkraut in a 3 liter jar
Gone are the days when cabbage was fermented in tubs and wooden barrels. Modern housewives prefer to ferment a vegetable for the winter in simple glass 3-liter jars, which is very convenient in urban apartments.
- 2.5 kg of white cabbage;
- 2 large carrots;
- 1.5 liters of water;
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar;
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of salt;
- bay leaf and peppercorns (if desired).
Pour water boiling in a kettle into a saucepan, add salty and sweet granules, if desired, put bay leaf and peppercorns. Leave the brine to cool
- For pickling, we take sweet cabbage, if the vegetable is bitter, then the appetizer will turn out to be bitter in taste.
- Cut the vegetable into thin strips and put in a deep bowl.
Next, we send carrots chopped on a coarse grater, mix everything thoroughly and transfer the vegetables to a three-liter glass jar
- We pour brine at room temperature, but not hot, so you can kill all the beneficial properties of the ingredients used.
- We fill the jar with brine right up to the neck and leave it open indoors for three days.
- It is better to put the jar with the contents in a deep bowl, since during the fermentation process, carbon dioxide will push the brine outward, and it will need to be returned.
- Also, twice a day, the cabbage should be pierced with a wooden stick to ensure a free outlet for carbon dioxide.
If the brine has stopped bubbling, it means that the fermentation process is complete, the jar of sauerkraut can be closed and moved to a cool place
According to this recipe, the cabbage turns out to be juicy and crispy, it can be stored for up to 8 months.
A simple recipe for sauerkraut in a saucepan
If you want to ferment the cabbage in a saucepan, it is important to choose a suitable container. Enamel dishes without chips or cracks are suitable for sourdough. As for aluminum dishes, opinions differ here, someone advises to ferment a vegetable in aluminum, someone opposes.
In a saucepan, you can ferment a vegetable according to the classic version, or take note of an interesting recipe with honey.
Ingredients for Recipe 1:
- 6 kg of white cabbage;
- 7 root vegetables of carrots;
- bay leaf and allspice to taste;
- 420 g table salt;
- 210 g sugar;
- 7 liters of water.
- The first step is to prepare a cold brine. To do this, pour 7 liters into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then add salt and sugar, cook the brine for 5 minutes so that all the grains dissolve.
- Put chopped cabbage and carrots grated on the coarse side into a large basin, mix everything thoroughly with your hands.
We transfer vegetables to a saucepan, alternating them with bay leaves and peppercorns
Fill everything with cooled brine, cover with whole cabbage leaves, put a plate and put the oppression so that the brine protrudes over the plate
We leave the pot with the contents indoors and after five days taste the sauerkraut
Ingredients for Recipe 2:
- 3 kg of cabbage;
- large root vegetable of carrots;
- 2 tbsp. spoons of honey;
- 3 dessert spoons of salt;
- 5 black peppercorns.
- Put chopped cabbage and grated carrots into a saucepan, add salt, peppercorns and mix.
- We put a plate on top, put oppression and leave the pan with the contents in the room for 48 hours. Every day we pierce vegetables with a sharp stick so that gases come out and be sure to remove the foam that appears on the surface, since harmful bacteria accumulate in it.
- Then pour the brine into a bowl, stir the honey in it, return it to the vegetables and keep the cabbage warm for another two days.
We lay out the finished snack in jars and store in a cool place.
Sauerkraut in a bucket without salt and sugar for the winter
To make the sauerkraut crispy, you need to take medium late or late varieties of cabbage with a uniform color, dense heads of cabbage and coarse leaves. Loose forks with green leaves are not suitable for sourdough. You can ferment cabbage without adding salt, sugar and even without water, this method will take more time, but the snack is much healthier.
- 6 kg of cabbage;
- 2 kg of carrots;
- a few bay leaves and carnations;
- 100 g of dill seeds.
- Shred cabbage, three carrots on a grater. Mix chopped vegetables with dill seeds, knead them well and put them in an enamel bucket. We try to pack the ingredients more tightly.
- Put a flat plate on top of the vegetables and put oppression weighing from 15 to 20 kg, so that the snack will quickly let the juice out. And as soon as this happens, you can change the heavy oppression for a load weighing from 2 to 3 kg.
- After three days, we remove the load, and after 5 hours we taste the appetizer.
It is better to arrange sour cabbage without salt in glass jars and put in a cool place. You can leave the snack in a bucket under the load, only the cabbage will become sour every day.
Sauerkraut with beets in Georgian style
Many people believe that sauerkraut for the winter is a primordially Russian dish, but in fact, since antiquity, it has been fermented in other countries as well. Among all the recipes, the Georgian version deserves special attention. Cabbage is fermented together with beets, as a result it turns out juicy and bright in appearance.
This appetizer can diversify both everyday and festive tables.
- 3 kg of cabbage;
- 1.5 kg of raw beets;
- 150 g celery (greens);
- 100 g of garlic;
- 2 pods of hot pepper;
- 100 g cilantro;
- 90 g salt;
- 2, 3 liters of water.
- For those who do not like too spicy salting, you can also add seven cloves and allspice, 20 g of sugar and two bay leaves to the recipe (the ingredients are presented per liter of water).
- Remove old leaves from cabbage forks, cut each head of cabbage into several parts.
- Peel the beets and cut the root vegetable into thin slices.
- Divide the garlic cloves in half. It is not worth chopping smaller, this is how it will be able to convey its taste to the brine and remain suitable for use in a ready-made snack.
- Clean hot peppers from seeds and cut into slices.
- Finely chop the cilantro and celery greens.
- Now we turn to the brine, for this we dissolve the salt granules in boiling water, the brine must cool. If you need to put other spices in the brine, then put them together with salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put a layer of beets on the bottom of the enamel pan, then lay out the cabbage, again the beets, and so on, until all the chopped vegetables run out, the last layer must necessarily be the beets so that the cabbage is evenly colored in a beautiful color. Around the middle, sprinkle a layer of cabbage with a mixture of garlic, herbs and hot pepper.
- Pour the contents of the pan with cooled brine, put a plate with a load on top and leave the cabbage to ferment in a warm place for 5 days.
- Every day we pierce vegetables with a sharp fork so that carbon dioxide can freely escape from the cabbage.
As soon as the foam stops appearing and the brine becomes transparent, it means that the cabbage is ready, put it in the jars and put it in a cooler place.
Recipe for crispy sauerkraut in a barrel for the winter
Souring cabbage in a barrel is a pleasure that you get not only from eating a ready-made snack, but also from the fermentation process itself. For starter, you can take a barrel made of oak, linden or cedar, and, of course, find a suitable recipe (with a photo) for salting.
- 46 g white cabbage;
- 4 kg of carrots;
- 1 kg of coarse salt (no iodine).
- We scald the barrel with boiling water and it is better to do this twice.
- Grind the cabbage and carrots on a shredder, put them in a large bowl, add salt and mix with your hands until the cabbage lets out the juice.
- We close the bottom of the barrel with whole cabbage leaves and put the vegetables along with the juice, fix it with a good load.
- We leave the cabbage to ferment in a warm room, every day (twice) we remove the load, pierce the vegetables so that the gas comes out, and the snack does not turn out to be bitter.
- As soon as intensive fermentation stops, the barrel of cabbage must be transferred to the basement. After 10 days, the cabbage will be ready. You can watch the video about how to ferment cabbage in an oak barrel.
- You can store fermented cabbage in a barrel in the basement, but once a week you need to check the barrel with the contents and remove the mold so that the snack does not spoil.
In a barrel, you can ferment cabbage not only with one carrot, so delicious cabbage is obtained with cranberries, apples and caraway seeds.
Today there are different options for how you can ferment cabbage. One of the popular recipes is the hot appetizer option. Here cabbage can be fermented with vinegar alone or with the addition of mustard.
Ingredients for Recipe 1:
- white cabbage forks;
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of sugar;
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of salt;
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of vinegar;
- head of garlic;
- 2 carrots;
- a pod of hot pepper.
Cut the cabbage into large pieces, grind the carrots on a grater, cut the hot pepper into slices and cut the garlic cloves into small pieces
- Put the prepared ingredients in layers in a glass jar and start with cabbage.
- For brine, pour salt, sugar into the water, pour in oil and vinegar. Boil the mixture and immediately fill it with vegetables.
The cabbage will be ready in a day, we store the appetizer in a cool place
Ingredients for the mustard recipe:
- 3 kg of white cabbage;
- 3 carrots;
- 3 onions;
- 250 ml of vegetable oil;
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of mustard;
- 200 ml vinegar;
- 180 g sugar;
- 1, 5 Art. tablespoons of salt.
Chop the cabbage, chop the carrots for Korean salads, cut the onion into thin quarters
- Put all the chopped vegetables into a deep container and mix.
- Pour oil, vinegar into a separate bowl, add salt, sugar and mustard, stir and heat the marinade for 5 minutes.
Pour the vegetables with a hot mixture, stir and leave for 2 hours, during which time the contents of the container must be mixed several times. After the appetizer is laid out in banks and moved to a cool place
Cabbage can be served the next day, but it is better to let it brew for two days to get the best taste.
Korean style in a 3-liter jar
Korean cuisine is ready to offer many recipes for salting cabbage, because each province of this country has its own traditions and secrets of cooking a vegetable snack. It is important to note that white cabbage varieties are not suitable for salting cabbage in Korean, because in Korea, leafy varieties of cabbage, which we call Peking cabbage, are popular.
- 1 kg of Chinese cabbage;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- 3 tbsp. tablespoons of salt;
- 150 g daikon;
- 3 fruits of sweet peppers;
- a slice of fresh ginger (a teaspoon of dried);
- 50 g green onions;
- 2 pods of hot pepper (2 teaspoons of dry ground);
- 2 teaspoons of sugar;
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander.
- Stir 5 tablespoons of salt in two liters of hot water and cool.
- We cut the Chinese cabbage into four parts, put it in a deep container, fill it with saline and keep it under pressure for 5 hours.
- Then we remove the oppression and those parts of the cabbage that lie at the bottom of the container are swapped with the upper ones, we put the oppression again and leave for 8 hours.
- After we take out the salted cabbage and rinse it with water.
- Now we take the daikon, peel off the peel and cut it into long thin slices or just shred it on a grater for Korean salads.
- We clean hot and sweet peppers from seeds, cut into pieces, put them in a blender container and grind them to a puree consistency.
- The cloves of garlic are cut with a sharp knife or passed through a press.
- Cut the ginger with a sharp knife if fresh plant root is used.
- We combine all the ingredients in a deep container, add a spoonful of salt, the same amount of sugar and coriander to them. Let the mixture brew for about an hour.
- Then we rub each piece of Chinese cabbage with a spicy mixture and put it tightly in a jar or any other container made of glass or ceramics.
- Depending on the room temperature, the fermentation process can take from two to five days.
Store the prepared Korean-style snack in a cool place for three weeks.
You can ferment cabbage in different ways, only now you need to choose the right day. If you believe folk signs, then it is correct to ferment cabbage only on the growing moon and only on those days of the week that have the letter "P" in their name - these are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, except Sunday. But, the main thing is to choose cabbage suitable for sourdough - these are varieties that are caught in the first frost.